COVID-19 Town of Canton Information & Updates
Posted: May 21, 2020
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2020
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2020
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020
Posted: Tuesday, March 17th, 2020
The Town of Canton has been monitoring COVID-19 since it was first announced as a potential threat. Our top priority is and always will be the safety and security of the community. Town officials are taking the current spread of COVID-19 very seriously and are working closely with Haywood County and other local partners in monitoring this situation. While there have been some changes to Town programming, all necessary arrangements are being made to ensure that all Town essential services are provided during this evolving situation.
Some of the changes that have been made at this time to limit the spread of the virus and other diseases include:
- The Canton Town Hall lobby will be closing to public “access” at noon TODAY – Tuesday, March 17th, 2020. All Town of Canton staff remain at work and can be reached by phone at (828) 648-2363 during regular operating hours (Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.).
- Additionally, all other non-emergency Town of Canton facilities (Fleet/Garage, Colonial Theater, Museum, etc) are closing to public “access” and are being posted with appropriate contact person and number if needed.
- Obviously, Police and Fire facilities will remain open to the public.
- All residents are encouraged to conduct other business with the Town, when possible, by calling the Town offices at (828) 648-2363 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.).
- All residents are encouraged to conduct utility payments with the Town utilizing one of the below methods:
- ONLINE: https://www.paymentservicenetwork.com/Login.aspx?acc=RT25542
- BY MAIL: Town of Canton, 58 Park Street, Canton, NC 28716
- DROP-BOX & DRIVE-THRU: visiting/utilizing our drive-thru service or depositing your payment in our Town Hall utilities payment drop box located at the drive-thru window
- OVER THE PHONE: by calling (877) 885-7968 (24/7 independent third-party automated payment service)
COVID-19 Coronavirus Prevention
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, the throw the issue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe. Follow CDC’s travel guidance.
COVID-19 Coronavirus Preparedness
These simple steps can assist you in preparing your home, minimize your risk of exposure, and protect others from COVID-19:
- Medications – make sure you have enough medication, like blood pressure pills, to last for two weeks. Aside from prescriptions, make sure you have pain reliever (ibuprofen), stomach remedies, and cold and cough medicines.
- Cleaning Supplies – plan on cleaning surfaces in your house that get touched frequently such as kitchen counters and bathroom faucets several times a day. Keep “high touch surfaces” in your house clean with household cleaning sprays or wipes.
- Wash hands – one of the most important steps is to regularly wash hands, especially as soon as you get home before touching common household surfaces. It is recommended you scrub your hands with warm, soupy water for at least 20 seconds.
- Hand Sanitizer – carry and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Other – keep plenty of go-to food supplies on hand such as nonperishable foods and hydrating drinks, such as Gatorade or Pedialyte for kids.
ADDITIONAL COVID-19 RESOURCES:
North Carolina Coronavirus Hotline: 1 (866) 462-3821
NC Dept of Health & Human Services: www.ncdhhs.gov
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention: www.cdc.gov
Haywood Regional Medical Center: www.myhaywoodregional.com
Mission Health: www.missionhealth.org
Haywood County: www.haywoodcountync.gov/684/Coronavirus-Covid-19-Information
Haywood County Schools: www.haywood.k12.nc.us