STREET CLEANING AND SCRAPING
In an effort to keep your streets safe and clean, the Street Department asks citizens not to park long term on the streets in order for the street flusher to wash the streets and for streets to be scraped by snow plows during bad weather. Spring is time for street paving and several streets are scheduled to be paved each year.
The Town of Canton contracts with Waste Pro for household garbage and recycling pickup. This collection is on a weekly basis every FRIDAY and your trash must be placed at the curb. If your trash is missed and you call Town Hall on Monday to report it someone from Waste Pro will come out and pick it up, if you wait to report it after that you will have to wait for it to be picked up during the regular Friday pickup. You can contact Town Hall to resolve pickup issues by either emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 828-648-2363. You may contact Waste Pro at 828-684-7790.
HOLIDAY SCHEDULE 2023
- Memorial Day: Pickup will be JUN 3
- 4th of July: Pickup will be JUL 7
- Labor Day: Pickup will be SEP 9
- Thanksgiving: Pickup will be NOV 25
- Christmas: Pickup will be DEC 30
- New Years: Pickup will be JAN 6
If you need to have any brush, leaves, debris, or any of the items listed below picked up by the Street Department please fill out an online work order or call it in to Town Hall at 828-648-2363 during regular business hours Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 4:00pm.
The Town will provide free pick up of the following items:
- Household junk, appliances, furniture and electronics but is unable to accept construction debris of any kind. Furniture, appliances, and electronics must be placed at the curb.
- Carpet can be picked up, but a charge will be made based on the weight of the material.
- Paint cans can be picked up if they are dried out, if they are not dried out you can put cat litter in them and then they can be picked up.
- Grass, brush and limbs.
- Bagged leaves and grass will be picked up year-round at the curb.
- Brush must be stacked and limbs must be no larger than 3” in diameter and 6’ in length. All must be stacked at the curb with cut ends facing the curb. Households are eligible for one pickup each month.
**IMPORTANT**: The Town of Canton will NOT pickup nor remove brush, limbs, or similar forms of debris which result from contracted work being performed. It is the responsibility of the property owner or tenant to have such brush, limbs, or similar forms of debris removed at their own expense.
SPECIAL FALL LEAF PICKUP
Beginning in late October through late December a vacuum truck will come by once a week to suck up any leaves that you rake or blow to the curb without being bagged.
** IMPORTANT ** ALL other times outside the special pickup period leaves MUST be bagged and a work order must be submitted.
Leaf Pickup Schedule
This schedule is subject to change depending on the weather and the amount of leaves. [PRINTABLE VERSION]
Monday - Newfound Area
- Little Oak
Tuesday - North Main Area
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
- Hy Vu
Wednesday - Academy Area
- Forest View Cir.
- Hampton Hts.
- Oakland Cir.
- Old Pisgah
- South Main
Thursday - Pisgah Drive Area
- Buena Vista
- E. Haywood
Friday - Penland/Skyland Terrace Areas
- Beaver Run
- Forest Hill
- Mingus Cove
- Mingus Hill