In an effort to keep your streets safe and clean, the Street Department asks citizens not to park long term on the streets in order for the street flusher to wash the streets and for streets to be scraped by snow plows during bad weather. Spring is time for street paving and several streets are scheduled to be paved each year.
The Town of Canton contracts with Henson’s Waste Service for household garbage pickup. This collection is on a weekly basis and from the curbside. You may contact Henson’s Waste Service at (828) 648-9401 to determine the day your refuse is picked up.
The Town will provide free pick up of the following items: (you must call the Town Hall at 648-2363 to place a work order)
- The Street Department will pick up household junk, appliances, furniture, electronics, grass, brush and limbs, but is unable to accept construction debris of any kind.
- All brush, debris, and similar work orders must be called in to the Town Hall’s main office at 648-2363 or 648-2364 during regular business hours 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m..
- Bagged leaves and grass will be picked up year round at the curb. During the fall special leaf pick up arrangements will be if you rake or blow them to the curb from November 1 through December 22 the vacuum truck will come by once a week to suck them up without being bagged. All other times they must be bagged for pick up!
- Brush must be stacked and limbs must be no larger than 3” in diameter and 6’ in length. All must be stacked at curb with cut ends facing the curb..
- Furniture, appliances, and electronics must be placed at the curb.
- Carpet can be picked up, but a charge will be made based on the weight of the material.
- 1The Town of Canton will NOT pickup nor remove brush, limbs, or similar forms of debris which results from contracted work being performed. It is the responsibility of the property owner or tenant to have such brush, limbs, or similar forms of debris removed at their own expense.